Our Lady of Lourdes Parish is a two church parish with an additional Sunday Mass at Vistancia Elementary School. It can get a tad bit confusing at times. To help you try to understand how our parish works, listed below are frequently asked questions our church offices receive:
Three locations all in one parish? How does that work?
- It takes a lot of coordination to make it work. Our Lady of Lourdes Parish was founded in 1982 and Our Lady of Lourdes Church was dedicated in 1988. Due to the expansion of Sun City West and Surprise, the decision was made to build a mission church, Prince of Peace, and have it be part of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish. Prince of Peace Church was dedicated in 1999. Due to further residential expansion in the Northwest Valley, our Pastor, Fr. David Ostler, made the decision to celebrate Mass in the community of Vistancia beginning in September 2018. We currently have three assigned priests and are blessed with three retired priests who assist when they are able. No matter which location you attend, you will be in Our Lady of Lourdes Parish.
Where are the churches? Where is Vistancia?
- Our Lady of Lourdes Church is located at 19002 N. 128th Avenue in Sun City West
- Prince of Peace Church is located at 14818 W. Deer Valley Drive in Sun City West
- In Vistancia, we are currently celebrating Mass at Vistancia Elementary School at 30009 N. Sunrise Point in Peoria
How do I baptize my child?
- Baptism is the first of the Sacrament of Initiation, without which no other sacrament can be validly received. Parishioner who have a new child are requested to fill out an Infant Baptism Request form (found in either church office) one to two months prior to the child's due date, if possible. Infant baptisms are for registered parishioners only (exceptions reserved to Pastor). Click here for more information on infant baptism and baptism for children under the age of seven.
How do I become Catholic?
I haven't been to confession in a long time. Can I schedule a time to meet with a priest to have private confession?
- Yes! If you haven't been to confession in a long time, you are welcome to call the church office (623-214-5180) to schedule a time to meet with one of our priests one-on-one. Don't be scared, Jesus is anxious to forgive you.
Since the churches are located in Sun City West (a retirement community), is it okay for me bring my kids with me to Mass?
- Absolutely! We strongly encourage you to bring your kids with you to Mass - Jesus wants them at Mass. We are firm believers that if the Church isn't crying, it's dying. At most of our Masses, you will see some children, but our Family Mass (11 a.m. at Our Lady of Lourdes) is filled with children. At the Family Mass, the children are involved in all of the ministries and our Family Catechesis Program follows that Mass. While neither church has a cry room, the narthexes (entry of the church) of both churches double as cry rooms as they have audio and windows looking into the church. Click here for more information on the parish's Family Catechesis Program.
Is the office open today?
- The office at Our Lady of Lourdes is open Sunday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., and Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The office at Prince of Peace is open Sunday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., and Monday and Wednesday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Neither office is open on Friday or Saturday
- The staggered schedule allows us to provide complete coverage in both offices during business hours
Can anyone come to Adoration even if we are not registered with your parish?
What time is Bingo on Sunday?
- The Knights of Columbus host Bingo every Sunday (except for Palm Sunday, Easter Sunday, and the Sunday closest to Christmas and New Year's) at 1:00 p.m. in St. Michael's Hall at Prince of Peace. Buy in is $10.
Do you offer assistance with rent or utility payments? Who can help me?
- Our Lady of Lourdes Parish does not offer assistance with rent or utility payments. We refer all inquires to the Our Lady of Lourdes Conference of St. Vincent de Paul. St. Vincent de Paul is an organization that specifically assists people in times of need. Our Lady of Lourdes St. Vincent de Paul Conference does not meet with people in their office. Instead, those who volunteer with St. Vincent de Paul (Vincentians) go to the houses of those who are in need of assistance. If you are in need of assistance, please call Our Lady of Lourdes St. Vincent de Paul Conference at 623-344-7267.